The Gadaladeniya Temple is situated on a hilltop and was constructed almost exclusively of stone in 1344 by Gampola King Wickramabahu. The art and architecture is of South Indian origin and the faded paintings and design provide clues to the manner in which the temple was built. The entrance features large stone pillars which support a roof of huge stone slabs. Within the vihara, an ancient stone and plaster Buddha image look down upon rice milk pots that have collected food offerings for centuries. The 638 year old jak wood doors still exhibit their original paintings. Gadaladeniya is situated at Pilimatalawa on the Kandy-Colombo main road.